SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
OPTICAL CONTROLS ENGINEER, LASER COMMUNICATIONS
- Develop cutting edge algorithms to enable fast, reliable, and autonomous communication between satellites in the world’s largest satellite constellation.
- Develop high-fidelity models of electro-mechanical actuators, optical components, and sensors. Work directly with hardware engineers to design experiments to anchor and validate those models.
- Design and implement high performance control laws to enable precision beam control between satellites.
- Work with engineers across the company to evaluate future use cases of the laser terminal. Execute various first principals derived analysis to drive terminal design and capability.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics or mathematics.
- 2+ years of experience with software development in C++, MATLAB, and Git.
- Experience with opto-electromechanical systems including modeling, beam control, or adaptive optics.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in engineering, physics or mathematics.
- Experience with the development of autonomous systems and robotics.
- Experience with the design of closed loop control systems including modeling, linear/non-linear control, and estimation.
- Experience with the implementation of adaptive control systems that can optimize system operation or identify changing conditions.
- Capable of identifying and solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- This role may be based in Hawthorne, CA or Redmond, WA
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA